With Global Giving On The Rise, It’s Time to Get Smart with Your Giving
Similar to winter solstice being the official kickoff to the season that most Minnesotans want to skip, last Tuesday was the official launch of Giving Season with #GivingTuesday.
This global day of giving is celebrated every year on the Tuesday following the two consumer-driven shopping holidays, Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Projections were expected to exceed last year’s totals, but “blowing out of the water” does not even do this year over year comparison justice.
We are excited to share the 2017 results with you:
- $247 million raised online (over 50% increase from last year!)
- 2.4 million total gifts
- Over 1 million social mentions
- 21.7 billion social impressions
- Participation from people in 150+ countries
We’re thrilled with these numbers and amped about the direction the philanthropic giving industry is headed. Our mission has always been “More Givers, Giving More” which is exactly what is transpiring in our world.
While Giving Tuesday has come and gone, it’s not too late to do your part this giving season. These ideas are relevant any time of year. You can also take it a step further and join the PhilanthroMarketing movement today!
With all of the generosity in December (11% of all giving occurs in the last three days of the year), we want to share a word of caution. Sadly, there are a lot of scams that happen around this time of year as well. It is important to get smart with your giving so all your hard earned, well intentioned dollars go to the causes you care about.
According to the Federal Trade Commission, best practice is to avoid any causes or fundraisers that:
- Refuses to provide detailed information about its identity, mission, costs, and how the donation will be used.
- Won’t provide proof that a contribution is tax deductible.
- Uses a name that closely resembles that of a better-known, reputable organization.
- Thanks you for a pledge you don’t remember making.
- Uses high-pressure tactics like trying to get you to donate immediately, without giving you time to think about it and do your research.
- Asks for donations in cash or asks you to wire money.
Better yet, use your personal giving account to manage all of your giving. First of all, it’s free. Secondly, all organizations (over 1.6 million) on our platform are a reputable nonprofit. We manage your giving for you and everything is recorded in this digital wallet for tax purposes.
Happy Safe Giving!