The Time to Give is Now
As you can imagine, the team at DoTopia is a little “doing good” crazy. We’ve read about, listened to, spoken with and blogged about numerous giving resources. We eat, sleep and breath making the world a better place.
Too much? We don’t think so.
We are heartbroken over the senseless violence in Las Vegas this week. Now more than ever, we felt it was imperative to highlight the benefits of giving and why we do what we do every day. We are all about embracing the individual and strongly believe that every single act of good can make a difference.
We have all been inspired by the books, podcasts, talks, articles and quotes listed below. We hope you love them as much as we do.
p.s. We post a ton of relevant content on our twitter account – give us a follow.
- Give and Take highlights what effective networking, collaboration, influence, negotiation, and leadership skills have in common. This landmark book opens up an approach to success that has the power to transform not just individuals and groups, but entire organizations and communities.
- 29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life is the insightful story of the author’s life change as she embraces and reflects on the naturally reciprocal process of giving. 29 Gifts shows how a simple, daily practice of altruism can dramatically alter your outlook on the world.
- The Giving Tree is a classic that shares the affecting interpretation of the gift of giving and a serene acceptance of another’s capacity to love in return.
- In 1993, Bill and Melinda Gates took a walk on the beach and made a big decision: to give their Microsoft wealth back to society. In conversation with Chris Anderson, the couple talks about their work at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, as well as their marriage, their children, their failures and the satisfaction of giving most of their money away.
- Michael Norton shares fascinating research on how money can indeed buy happiness — when you don’t spend it on yourself.
- Sasha Dichter of the Acumen Fund shares the results of his month-long “Generosity Experiment” where he said “yes” to every request for help.
- The Cause Talk Radio podcast is one of our favorites. With well over 200 episodes, host Joe Waters of SelfishGiving.com and Megan Strand (Engage for Good’s Communication Director) interview industry experts on their initiatives that combine cause and commerce.
- The Greater Good discusses “the science of a meaningful life”.
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin – #1 bestselling author of The Happiness Project and Better Than Before gets more personal than ever as she brings her practical, manageable advice about happiness and good habits to this lively, thought-provoking podcast.
- On Being takes up the big questions of meaning with scientists and theologians, artists and teachers — some you know and others you’ll love to meet.
- Generosity is strongly associated with well-being.
- And so we learn early: It is better to give than to receive.
- Indeed, it is through giving that we enrich and perpetuate both our own lives and the lives of others.
- On top of that, people experience even more brain activation when they give voluntarily.
- As we enter the giving (and consumer) season, think about how you can give more in better ways to maximize your happiness.
- Did you know that kinder people actually live longer, healthier lives? People who volunteer tend to experience fewer aches and pains.
- “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” ― Winston S. Churchill
- “No one has ever become poor by giving.” – Anne Frank
- “It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” ― Mother Teresa
- “For it is in giving that we receive.” — Saint Francis of Assisi
- “The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity” — Leo Tolstoy
- “You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” ― Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
- “Making money is a happiness; making other people happy is a super happiness” — Nobel Peace Prize recipient Muhammad Yunus
- “Giving back is as good for you as it is for those you are helping, because giving gives you purpose. When you have a purpose-driven life, you’re a happier person” — Goldie Hawn
Man, if that doesn’t leave you feeling inspired we don’t know what will.
We’d love to hear about your favorite “Do Good” resources and mantras in the comments below! Help us spread the joy of giving.
You can give your DoDollars to the United Blood Services and American Red Cross in support of Las Vegas. Simply search for them on our platform and give.